Sea to Sky Hilly 54km
The race starts at the Primary School in the village of Palaichori, Cyprus, at 7am on Saturday, September 10.
The route follows the last 54km of the 130km Sea-to-Sky ultra, which is being held on the same day. Elevation gain 2,600. meters. Runners of the Hilly race may meet up along the way with some of the Extreme runners – please give them a friendly greeting and wish them well.
From the school, the course winds immediately up and up, right to the top of Papoutsa mountain (elevation 1542 m) and then continues over Madari peak (1755m) and eventually up to Chionistra peak, the highest point of the Troodos mountain range (1952m), before dropping down to finish at the Jubilee Hotel next to Troodos square.
The race has an 11-hour cut-off time.
The route follows trails, tracks, and ancient pilgrimage paths. The course is an exciting tour of rural Cyprus, taking in wheat fields, vineyards, olive groves, orchards, river courses, a pilgrimage site, forests, mountain pathways, goat tracks, and mountain villages.
Entry fee: 65 euros
Max no of runners: 50
There will be four feeding stations along the way:
1. At Agios Ioannis, about 14km from the start.
2. Adventure Mountain Park -- 31 km from start.
3. Mnimata Piskipon Trailhead -- 41 km from start
4. Troodos Ski Lift -- 46 km from start
THE 54KM ULTRA START LINE
Above and left: the Palaichori Primary school, where the race begins.
Details of the race markings are the same as for the Extreme ultra.
The ITRA and UTMB have both awarded this race three points.
The UTMB has also listed it as a qualifying race for its 50km World Series Challenge
1. The race fee is 65 euros per runner
2. All transport arrangements are ultimately the runner's responsibility, including getting to the start and from the finish. However, we will organise a bus from the Jubilee hotel (the finish line) to Palaichori on Saturday morning in time for bib collection. Bus fare will depend on how many runners would like to make use of the service.
3. Bib collection details to be announced
4. All Cyprus Trail Runners events are cupless. Runners must carry their own cups/water bottles/receptacles for use at feeding stations.
5. Bib numbers must be displayed on the front of a runner's shirt so they are clearly visible to race marshals.
6. Anyone found littering along the route will be immediately disqualified. If you can carry a full gel packet or drinks bottle with you, you can carry an empty one.